Mary and I took a class to make Joomchi (Korean paper art) at a local art museum. Korean paper is made from the inner bark of the mulberry tree. The paper is thin but you layer 2-3 pieces together. Then add some water and start working the paper with your hands – folding and refolding in different directions. It takes a couple of hours to get the layers fused together by the folding so that the paper becomes strong. Definitely a one and done class. It is pretty amazing that they used to make clothing using this paper since woven fabrics were expensive and only nobility could afford cloth. (918 – 1392 time period).
So now what to do with the 4″ x 7″ pieces of Joomchi? I decided to make a collage using the purple piece. I also used foiling technique and fabric paint to add leaves to the Joomchi. I made a collage background using different purple fabrics including a piece of batting that I had painted a few years ago. Also found some zigzag printed fabric that I had made so added those pieces to the collage. I made a flower out of a painted handkerchief with a sari ribbon stem. Of course I had to add a bird to the piece. The bird was the wrong color. I checked online to find pictures of purple birds – wow there are a lot of purple birds. So I painted the bird and added thread painting.
For the binding, I used a satin stitch and stitched a few times around the edges.
Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
Another bird painting finished. This small wall hanging was for a guild challenge using one “Crayola color” plus black and white fabric. I painted the cardinal mostly red with two little accent colors for beak and legs. The bird is fused on the fabric after painting. I wanted a modern look to the piece so I fused the tree branch at an angle and cut it off so it looked like it was floating. The leaves were from a printed fabric that I fussy cut and fused on the background. I sectioned off the background for the free motion quilting designs. I used some quilting motifs from Helen Godden’s Feathered Friends block of the month. I added red faux piping to the binding for a pop of color around the edges. Finished size is about 16″ square. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
I was reorganizing my UFO boxes ( Yes, I have more than one UFO box.), and I found this project from Sue Benner’s class. Mary and I took her class in the fall of 2017 at Greenville, NY (Hudson River Valley Fiber Arts Workshop). It was a wonderful 5 day workshop and we had lots of fun taking this class. I had finished one of the pieces from the class (see – Cattails landscape quilt – Nov. 2017) but I didn’t finish this piece during the class because I didn’t like the dock that I made. The piece was ready for quilting except for the dock. So I figured out how to fix the dock – I made it a “broken” dock. I had to use some new fabrics since I didn’t have any of the original fabric. Before quilting, I stitched around the marsh grasses and the dock with a straight stitch. I quilted wavy lines using green thread for the leaves at the top and the grasses at the bottom. I used 2 different colors of blue thread to quilt the water with wavy lines. I finished the edges with 3 rounds of satin stitch using 2 different colors of thread. Yeh, another UFO done. Keep having fun quilting and sewing. Donna
Flatty Dogs pattern
When I was searching for a UFO recently, I came across this Scottie patchwork pillow pattern that I got a couple of years ago and decided that it was about time I made it.
I already had both the 2 1/2″ fusible grid and I had lots of scraps so there was not excuse to not work on it.
It was easy to make and the fusible grid made it a fast project.
Our Scottie (Ranger) loves stuffie toys so I need to make sure he does not get his teeth on this pillow. However, I couldn’t resist a photo-opt of him seeing the new Scottie pillow.
Click on the images below to enlarge.
Scottie Patchwork Pillow
Patchwork found his favorite chair.
Ranger meets Patchwork Scottie.
I created this little “Personal Symbols” collages in Deborah Broschert‘s class when we went to the Sacred Thread show.
Once home, they landed in my UFO pile.
So, I took them out and thought about making a small wall collage with them.
They stayed on my design wall for awhile as I wasn’t sure I wanted to make a small wall hanging with them.
Then one night, I was looking around on Pinterest I saw a B&W house quilt. Inspired by it, I decided to integrate my little collages into a Habitat for Humanity quilt.
I used B&W scraps and added a punch of the green and red (from the key blocks) as the doors.
I look forward to presenting it to a new homeowner when they have another Habitat for Humanity home dedication.