The first two blocks in this collage quilt were made at a workshop (Mid-Atlantic quilt festival – Feb. 2015) with Linda Schmidt (Life’s a Beach class) – the wave and the sandy beach blocks. It is amazing how well the shells stayed on the fabric with fabric glue. I did have to pull off a few shells when I added the binding but I glued the shells back on when the binding was complete. A year later I decided to make more SeaLife quilt blocks to create a collage quilt similar to my Bird collage quilt (All about Birds). You can read about the other blocks in earlier posts on the blog. I really enjoy making collage quilts. It is fun to make random blocks of different sizes and experiment with new techniques. Then the challenge is to fit the blocks together and fill in the holes with new blocks to complete the quilt. I used lots of different techniques on the SeaLife collage quilt.
The final 2 blocks added to the quilt were the seahorse block and the filler water block with the 5 orange fish. To make the fish, I added Pellon 950f to the back of an orange fabric to stabilize the fabric for free motion quilting. Then using black thread I made the outline of the fish and added details to the fish. I cut the fish out and glued them on the quilt and then stitched them on using a triple stitch and black thread.
I bought the seahorse square (about 12″ square) from a vendor at a quilt show earlier this year. I added a border around the seahorse square so that it would fit on the final row of the quilt. Then I used free motion stitching to quilt the block.
I am very excited that this collage quilt is finally done. It took some time to figure out what to add to the quilt and how to put the rows together with the quilt as you go technique. My next collage quilt will be travel inspired. I already have some small quilt blocks that I can use for this next quilt. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
At our last bee meeting, we decided on a layout for our quilt with the completed blocks. Mary and Terri stitched the blocks together in rows and sections while LouAnn and I pressed and trimmed the blocks. Then each person took home a section to quilt. At the next meeting we plan to put the rows/sections together using sashing and a “quilt as you go” technique. Before I could quilt my row, I had to “redo” my block that had 3 beach houses on it. The block was too big for the row so I had to lose one of the houses. I cut out the other 2 houses so I could re-use them on the new quilt block. I changed the sky from white to blue for the new block and added a palm tree. I tried to line up the sand on my block so it would match the other two blocks.
My redesigned block
Then I stitched the blocks together to make a row. I quilted the row using free motion quilting for the sky and a walking foot making curved lines for the sand areas. At our next bee meeting, we will attach the rows with sashing. Can’t wait to see all the sections put together. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
I have started working again on my Sea Life collage quilt. So far I have completed 8 blocks. I have at least 2 more blocks to complete. For my shoreline bird block, I modified a pattern by Pine Needles Designs (McKenna Ryan) – “At Water’s Edge”. The birds in her pattern were too large for block, so Mary helped me shrink the birds to the size that I needed. I added one more bird to my block and also added water. I made the background and then quilted the background before adding the appliqué pieces. I used twine for the shore fencing and attached it with free motion stitching. It was a fun block to make. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
Unwashed quilt square
I decided to use Mary’s Hawaiian appliqué UFO block for my Jane Sassaman quilt project. But first I had to complete the block and quilt it. Mary had started to “needle turn hand applique” the block so I had to take out her stitches – Mary helped take out the stitching. She had done very small stitches to hide her stitching on the block. Next I used a blind hem stitch on my machine and stitched down the appliqué with green thread. I drew a design on the appliqué and used free motion quilting to stitch out the design. I used echo quilting around the appliqué to complete the block. Next I cut the block in half and then cut out 3 circles from one half. With the other half I cut a curved line on one side. The quilt project is pinned to my design wall to get ready for the next step. I keep moving the leaves around so I do not have a final design yet – still a work in progress. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
I used the techniques in Jane Sassaman’s book – The Quilted Garden – to make the leaves. Looking at my photos of Hawaiian leaves, I drew a variety of leaves on tracing paper to make my patterns. I made the leaves in 3 different sizes. I attached iron-on interfacing (“Shirtailor” by Pellon) to the wrong side of the fabrics. Then I traced the leave shapes and cut out my patterns. I used a basting stitch to attach the leaf sections together. I plan to use a satin stitch over my basting stitch. I decided to add black and white fabric accents to the wall hanging so I used different black and white fabrics for accents on some of the leaves. I made a small quilt square (about 8 – 9″ square) with a black and white “bird of paradise” flower (fusible appliqué) to also add to the wall hanging – not sure where I will put it in the quilt yet. I still need to quilt the bird of paradise quilt square yet. Now I have all the parts made. Next I have to deconstruct the green Hawaiian appliqué quilt square so that I will know the dimensions for the main section of the wall hanging. I will also need to pick out background fabrics to place the leaves on. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna