A couple of years ago I took a sampler class to learn more piecing techniques. I selected southwest colors (turquoise, rust, & brown) and fabrics with the intent of making a new quilt for our guest bedroom (queen size).
Traditional Sampler layout
After I finished the twelve 12″ blocks (+2 extras) I put them in a UFO box. I didn’t really want to just add sashing to make the traditional sampler quilt.
In January, I pulled it out of my UFO project box and started looking at ideas on the internet for sampler layouts.
I finally landed on a Moda design (Modern Building Blocks) that I really liked. The layout was free online: http://www.modafabrics.com/modern-building-blocks-assembly-ps9900.pdf
I also bought the pattern as the pattern required some really BIG blocks and I didn’t find BIG blocks online.
I started adapting the pattern/layout for my design.
12″ blocks extended to 18″ blocks
Phase 1 – the design only needed nine 12″ blocks and I had fourteen. It did need five 18″ blocks, so at a quilt retreat I took five of my 12″ blocks and extended them to 18″ blocks (with the color/design input from my quilting retreat friends).
36″ BIG block
Phase 2 – Make BIG blocks. I made a two 36″, one 30″, and a 24″ block. I did make some measurement errors and one of my 36″ blocks turned out to actually be 38″.
Phase 3 – Make a mix of smaller blocks to fill in the design.
Working on layout
Phase 4 – Layout. I arranged my blocks on floor. I did use some fillers (strips) to place between block and to assist in the connection of blocks.
Sectioned of quilt, ready to be quilted
Phase 5 – Quilting. Donna volunteered to do stippling and use a quilt-as-you-go technique. It was a busy quilt so I didn’t want the quilting to be the star and felt that simple stippling would be good. In order for her to quilt it more easily on a domestic machine, I sewed the blocks together in 3 large sections. Then she could quilt the 3 separate sections before attaching them together.
Here’s the finished queen size quilt.
On the bed in our guest bedroom.
My finished quilt is not exactly like the pattern. I used the pattern more as inspiration and tweaked the layout to meet my blocks and the size I wanted. I learned a lot on this project and am happy with the result. I’m also happy that another UFO is complete.
I plan on making some decorative pillows for the futon (in the same room) with some of the leftover fabric.
Ps. This is my favorite block in the quilt