bags of strips
I had a bag of strips (different widths) that I decided to use to make a baby quilt. I thought that I would use up most of the strips in the bag but I still have lots of strips for another baby quilt. I made 16 squares of batting and backing (about 11″ squares). I used left over pieces of flannel for the backing.
I still have lots of flannel scraps left for another quilt. I used the same blue fabric for the center stripe on each square. I decided to just use blue and green strips for this quilt. I trimmed the squares to about 10.5″. I used green and blue strips to piece the squares together using quilt as you go technique (see Leah Day video quilt as you go on you tube). I just found another quilt as you go technique on Missouri Star Quilter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Tm7oyIDNo). There are lots of resources on youtube with tutorials on quilt as you go. Give it a try. The finished quilt is a more than 40″ x 40″ square. I think I will be making a yellow and green quilt next. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
At our last bee meeting, we decided on a layout for our quilt with the completed blocks. Mary and Terri stitched the blocks together in rows and sections while LouAnn and I pressed and trimmed the blocks. Then each person took home a section to quilt. At the next meeting we plan to put the rows/sections together using sashing and a “quilt as you go” technique. Before I could quilt my row, I had to “redo” my block that had 3 beach houses on it. The block was too big for the row so I had to lose one of the houses. I cut out the other 2 houses so I could re-use them on the new quilt block. I changed the sky from white to blue for the new block and added a palm tree. I tried to line up the sand on my block so it would match the other two blocks.
My redesigned block
Then I stitched the blocks together to make a row. I quilted the row using free motion quilting for the sky and a walking foot making curved lines for the sand areas. At our next bee meeting, we will attach the rows with sashing. Can’t wait to see all the sections put together. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
Here are my blocks for our Quilt Bee’s Habitat for Humanity charity quilt (that Donna discussed in the previous post).
Mary’s blocks. The bottom 3 are paper pieced blocks.
I had fun making these blocks (particularly the dog house block with the scottie) and I’m looking forward to seeing everyone else’s blocks.
I decided to try the Round Robin quilting bee project earlier this year. To start this project, a person in the bee puts a random “leftover” block in a plastic bag. Members can choose a bag and then add a border. Once the border is added, the project goes back in the plastic bag for a different member to choose and add a border. This is the first time that I picked up a bag – my bag was for a Quilt of Valor. I added the last row using piano keys design. I had lots of small strips of fabric leftover from other red/white/ and blue quilts. I sewed the strips together and then cut the strips to fit the sides of the quilt to make the next border. I will pass this quilt top to the another member at our next meeting. I think that the quilt is looking good. Once the quilt is completed, it will be donated to one of the charity projects at the quilt guild. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
I looked on pinterest for inspiration for a quilt with polaroid squares (I had about 160 polaroid squares to play with). I liked the wonky blocks and the multi-color blocks. So I found my bag of fabric scraps of Kona solids leftover from the class on the Gravity quilt pattern at the shop I worked at. I cut 1.5″ and 2.5″ wide strips of assorted colors. I sewed the 1.5″ strips on the top and bottom of each polaroid and the 2.5″ wide strips on the sides. Then I made a 5″ square template which I placed at an angle of the block to cut the wonky blocks. I positioned some blocks angled to the top left corner and some to the top right corner. I made 80 wonky blocks. Next I stitched 4 blocks together to make a 4 patch for a total of 20 blocks. My plan was to use the 20 blocks to make a 4 x 5 block quilt but the quilt was getting too big for a charity baby quilt so I only used 16 four patches. I put a 1.5″ sashing between the rows and 2.5″ border around all the rows. The finished size is about 44″ square. I have not quilted the top yet. I really like all the colors in the quilt – very happy. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
Our local quilt guild makes quilts for the Neonatal Unit at our local hospital. Here are three that Donna and I completed at our last neonatal sew-in.
Charity quilts made by Donna / Mary / Donna
These quilts are easy and we are really fortunate that the coordinator of this charity project, kits-up all of the quilts so all you have to do is sew and quilt them. I like that they are relatively small so you can whip one up quickly and feel real productive. These quilts are also great for practicing your free-motion quilting on.