I have started working again on my Sea Life collage quilt. So far I have completed 8 blocks. I have at least 2 more blocks to complete. For my shoreline bird block, I modified a pattern by Pine Needles Designs (McKenna Ryan) – “At Water’s Edge”. The birds in her pattern were too large for block, so Mary helped me shrink the birds to the size that I needed. I added one more bird to my block and also added water. I made the background and then quilted the background before adding the appliqué pieces. I used twine for the shore fencing and attached it with free motion stitching. It was a fun block to make. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
Our quarterly bee was celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. So one member came up with the idea to make 20 polaroid squares that we could swap at our next meeting and then make a quilt. Eight members participated so they made 160 blocks to swap. I made 100 blocks and Mary helped me finish the second half of the blocks. At our meeting this month we swapped the blocks. It was fun seeing the different blocks in the swap. Our next goal is to complete a quilt top with these blocks by our December meeting. I will have to look for some quilt ideas on the internet. Will keep you posted. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
Sometimes it is fun to work on small home decor projects.
Our kitchen window was lacking a window dressing and even though we had blinds, I felt that it really needed something.
So I pulled together some neutral fabrics (2 prints and one solid).
I cut five 20 1/2″ squares of the solid and three of one print and two of the other. Right sides together (one print and one solid), I stitched 1/4″ around the entire square. I then cut a X on the solid and pulled the inside to the outside.
I draped the 5 napkins over a curtain rod and made sure the back side (the solid) hung down longer than the print. That way it looks like there are more layers than there really is.
It was a really easy project and now I can make more napkins to change out seasonally. Can’t you just picture Christmas napkins hanging?
Last month our bee used embroidery designs from Hatched in Africa to make flower sketches with black thread. This month we used watercolor pencils, fabric pastels, and watercolor pastels to color the designs.
It was very relaxing – reminded us of coloring books that we used as kids. We also used water and paintbrushes to blend colors on the designs.
For practice using the coloring tools, we used black and white printed fabric. It was a fun afternoon. Not sure what we will do with our little designs yet. Looking forward to our next project. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
I decided to use Mary’s Hawaiian appliqué UFO block for my Jane Sassaman quilt project. But first I had to complete the block and quilt it. Mary had started to “needle turn hand applique” the block so I had to take out her stitches – Mary helped take out the stitching. She had done very small stitches to hide her stitching on the block. Next I used a blind hem stitch on my machine and stitched down the appliqué with green thread. I drew a design on the appliqué and used free motion quilting to stitch out the design. I used echo quilting around the appliqué to complete the block. Next I cut the block in half and then cut out 3 circles from one half. With the other half I cut a curved line on one side. The quilt project is pinned to my design wall to get ready for the next step. I keep moving the leaves around so I do not have a final design yet – still a work in progress. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
I used the techniques in Jane Sassaman’s book – The Quilted Garden – to make the leaves. Looking at my photos of Hawaiian leaves, I drew a variety of leaves on tracing paper to make my patterns. I made the leaves in 3 different sizes. I attached iron-on interfacing (“Shirtailor” by Pellon) to the wrong side of the fabrics. Then I traced the leave shapes and cut out my patterns. I used a basting stitch to attach the leaf sections together. I plan to use a satin stitch over my basting stitch. I decided to add black and white fabric accents to the wall hanging so I used different black and white fabrics for accents on some of the leaves. I made a small quilt square (about 8 – 9″ square) with a black and white “bird of paradise” flower (fusible appliqué) to also add to the wall hanging – not sure where I will put it in the quilt yet. I still need to quilt the bird of paradise quilt square yet. Now I have all the parts made. Next I have to deconstruct the green Hawaiian appliqué quilt square so that I will know the dimensions for the main section of the wall hanging. I will also need to pick out background fabrics to place the leaves on. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
We had company this past Memorial weekend and after seeing some decorating one of our quilter friends did for her Easter company, Donna and I decided that we needed to kick-it-up a notch for our Memorial Day company.
After decorating the LR, DR, and sunroom, we noticed that we did not have a small table runner for our kitchen bar area. So…. I decided to whip one up. I pulled out or R-W-B fabric container and found some pineapple blocks that Donna had made when she was teaching a class on the pineapple block.
We like to make dual sided table runners/toppers so we can get extra usage out of them, to I used some umbrella fabric and ship fabric from our stash) to make the reversed side of the table runner and then did some straight lined quilting through all the layers (RWB – batting – umbrella/ship).
The key to making a dual sided table runners is to make sure that the binding fabric will look good on both sides.
It was a quick and fun project and I really like both sides of this table/counter runner. We’re also ready for the 4th of July!