One to the thing I love about visiting quilting friends studios, is that you get new ideas for organization, storage or layouts for your own studio.
We used to use a traditional ironing board, and then we saw that one of our friends purchased a Big board that slipped on over you existing ironing board. We bought one and Donna made a new cover for it. We really liked it.
Then we saw someone else, that had a sewing “big board” with storage built in. Hmmmmm. The space under our “big board is wasted space that we could certainly use more storage.
So, I got online and purchased 2 shelving units on wheels (because everything in a studio is better if it has locking wheels). Now we have a “big board” ironing station with additions storage.
I think we all need as least one studio space upgrade in the new year and this is ours.
What to do on a COLD & cloudy winter day?
Answer: Make a new sewing machine cover for my Bernina.
My old cover was not really big enough for my main machine so the old one now covers my travel machine (in the background).
Scottie Fabric (close-up)
Ps. Yes…. I did include some scottie fabric (from my scottie fabric stash) in this cover.
I was practicing some new free motion quilting designs and my son’s dog wanted to check out what I was doing. I stepped away from my sewing machine to do some ironing. When I turned around, there was Messi spinning in my sewing chair. He does like to jump up to see what is happening. He is very curious. We have to keep Ranger’s stuffed dog toys in the closet so Messi doesn’t tear them apart. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
Today I hung my sewing quilt – Sewing Addiction pattern. I made the quilt a few years ago but didn’t have a wall high enough for this quilt. In our last house there were half walls in the bonus room above our garage. So excited to have my quilt hanging. Also took a break from unpacking to do some sewing this week. Yeh! Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
Mary and I have 2 closets in our sewing room. The closets were out of control – it was hard to get the creative juices going when you couldn’t find what you needed. So Mary and I bought more storage tubs and 2 shelving units. We pulled everything out of the 2 closets and sorted through the stuff, threw away some stuff, and found some things we didn’t know that we had. Then it was time to organize the stuff we wanted to keep. It didn’t take as long as I thought it would. Now we can find supplies and fabric that we want to use in new projects. Yeh!!! I took before and after pictures of one of the closets. It feel great to be more organized – now to get started on all the new projects that are floating around in my brain. We even have some empty tubs just waiting for new projects. Get creative. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
I wanted to make a new ironing board cover because the gray cover was getting tired looking. I found a pattern for different sewing room organizers which had a pattern for an ironing board cover. I have lots of sewing novelty fabric and found some cute fabric to use. It was a fairly quick project to complete. Just needed some single folded bias tape and elastic. The ironing board looks great – makes me want to iron. Have fun sewing and creating. Donna
We wanted to add a design wall to our sewing studio but had a major challenge. Our sewing room is above the garage so we have a slanted ceiling – no high ceilings to hang a design wall from.
Our solution… portable standalone design walls.
We used gray flannel fabric with a grid and insulation board. We used Duck tape to attach the fabric to the insulation board. The directions on the internet said to use a staple gun to attach the fabric but we decided to use the tape instead so that we didn’t destroy the insulation board with the staples.
Now we have 2 design walls that we can move around the room or put the 2 design walls together for larger quilts.
Have fun creating and sewing. Mary and Donna
Donna and I both like a ‘somewhat’ tidy workspace. A little messy is ok, but we find that too much clutter is not good for our creativity. An overly cluttered workspace makes for a cluttered brain (I heard that someplace). We also have limited space and when it takes too long to move stuff before you can find what you need, then it is time for a good ol clear-out.
So… we cleaned out/re-organized our primary quilting closet. Things were overflowing and it was getting hard to find what we wanted. We filled 2 bag of trash and found some stuff to take to Goodwill.
It always feels good to purge stuff and re-organize your space. We even found stuff that we totally forgot about.
New ironing table.
While we were on a re-organizing roll, I decided to finally turn that old sewing table into a small ironing table.
I love it. It will come in handy for all that applique and paper piecing. Now I can just swivel around from my sewing table to my ironing/pressing table. I feel more efficient already.
Happy Stitch’n and Press’n,
I decided it was time to spruce up my sewing space. 1st up, my sewing machine dust cover. While I do have the sewing machine cover that came with my machine, and it is functional, it is not fun.
Before: Generic white sewing machine cover.
I machine appliqued some B&W prints on my green background and then quilted it.
I used 2 black shoe strings (cut in halves) for the side ties.
After: Quilted Modern sewing machine cover
As you might have guessed, I also have a Scottish Terrier so I included a little bit of scottie fabric in the new cover. My scottie puppy “Ranger” also has a blog and if you want to read about his adventures you can check him out here ==> http://ranger-scottie.blogspot.com/
From boring to fun. I just love it. Gotta love a successful spruce. I just hope it still keeps the dust off my machine (since the sides are loosely open).
On the other hand, what’s a little dust when it looks sooooo good.
Happy Stitching. Mary