Art birds wallhanging

I made this little art birds wallhanging (15″ x 19″) a couple of years ago but I hadn’t quilted the piece.  So I was looking through my UFOs and decided to complete this small project.  I used burlap, wool, felt, cheesecloth and cotton fabrics to create this little scene with the 2 birds.  It was a fun project to play with different fabrics.  So I echo quilted some of the piece and then used  free motion quilting for the rest of the piece.  I used a fun fabric for the border and the binding and now it’s done. Sometimes I need a break from large projects and just have to work on a small piece.  Keep having fun sewing and quilting.  Donna

Advertisements

Strip quilt using sea glass colors

I am trying to work through my stash. LOL  So I started cutting 2.5″ strips of different lengths to make a quilt for a gift – needs to be finished by May. I used white strips to break up the colors. Right now the quilt is about 66″ x 72″. I added a narrow border and plan to work on an 8″ border using a 4″ kite die cut that I got for Christmas.   I am planning to make the border during my quilt guild’s retreat in mid- January. So I will keep you posted on my progress.  Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna

Doggy blanket for Messi

Last month my “grand-doggy” Messi was visiting with us while my son was on a business trip.  I decided to make him a light weight doggy blanket since it was so hot.   Using a quilt as you go technique, I sewed scraps of doggy fabric, hot air balloons, music, and computer fabric to make the top of the blanket.  On the back, I pieced together several pieces of flannel.  I also put Messi’s name on the backing using a fabric with doggy bones (fusible appliqué).  I love making projects using fabric scraps.  Messi loves to pose for pictures – just tell him to sit.

Ranger is walking over to check out Messi’s new doggy quilt.

I think he probably thought I was going to toss him a doggy treat. When my son picked up Messi, I told him about the doggy quilt that I made.  It turns out that I made Messi his quilt on his birthday.  He is now 3 years old.  Keep having fun sewing and quilting.  Donna

Southwest Pillow

Southwest throw pillow

Southwest Throw Pillow

I am working on a couple of larger projects (an Art Quilt) and some throws (Bonnie Hunter design).   But, sometime ya just have to work and complete a small project.

So, with one of my leftover blocks from my southwest Sampler Quilt, I made a throw pillow for the guest bedroom.    I expanded the block with borders and then quilted it.

Another project completed.   Now back to my other tow projects.

Happy Stitchin’,

Mary

Habitat for Humanity charity quilt in progress

Our quilting bee decided to make a charity quilt sponsored by our local quilt guild for Habitat for Humanity homes built in our area.  We wanted to make a fun quilt with a beach theme since we live near the beach. Some of the blocks are paper pieced and others are pieced or use machine appliqué. There are 4 members in our group so we all made blocks using several sizes that would make it easier to fit the blocks together into a quilt.  At our next meeting we are going to finalize our quilt designs with all the blocks that we have made. Then we will divide the quilt into 4 sections to be quilted by individual members. At the following meeting we wil put the quilt sections together using “quilt as you go”. Can’t wait to see the finished quilt. The photos in this post are the blocks that I made.  Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna

Sidetracked by a pottery project – Garden Totem

I recently took a Garden Totem pottery class at our local Art Center.   This was my 1st attempt at molding clay.

My clay Fish

Some of my pieces, before I painted them with glaze and the final firing.

 

It was a 5 week class and we created lots of clay pieces that we would eventually stack into a garden totem.

 

 

 

 

 

After we molded/created our individual pieces, they were fired in a kiln and then we painted glazes on them and they were fired again.

 

 

 

Here is the finished project.

Of course I had to put a scottie in my totem.

My crazy bird.

 

I added some copper wiring  and some copper tubing to better space out my pottery pieces.   I really like the way the light catches on the copper.

 

 

Everyone’s totem was unique.

It was a really fun project and it adds a bit of whimsy to our garden.

Happy creating,

Mary

 

Sidetracked by painting project

I got sidetracked by a painting project earlier this week.  I had a can that a retired teacher friend painted for me about 8 years.  Needless to say – after the can had been outdoors for that time, the paint design had peeled.  My friend had painted the can white and then added flowers.  I decided not to paint the can white so that I could better cover the previous design.  So I painted the lid dark blue and the can light blue.  Of course I used acrylic paints that I had on hand so that limited my color choices.  After several base coats, I was ready to paint a new flower design.  When my design was complete, I sprayed a clear enamel paint to preserve the design since it took a few days to complete the design.  Now the new paint can design looks really cute on our back patio.  Have fun sewing and quilting and fun with other creative projects too.   Donna