Last month my “grand-doggy” Messi was visiting with us while my son was on a business trip. I decided to make him a light weight doggy blanket since it was so hot. Using a quilt as you go technique, I sewed scraps of doggy fabric, hot air balloons, music, and computer fabric to make the top of the blanket. On the back, I pieced together several pieces of flannel. I also put Messi’s name on the backing using a fabric with doggy bones (fusible appliqué). I love making projects using fabric scraps. Messi loves to pose for pictures – just tell him to sit.
Ranger is walking over to check out Messi’s new doggy quilt.
I think he probably thought I was going to toss him a doggy treat. When my son picked up Messi, I told him about the doggy quilt that I made. It turns out that I made Messi his quilt on his birthday. He is now 3 years old. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
At our last bee meeting, we decided on a layout for our quilt with the completed blocks. Mary and Terri stitched the blocks together in rows and sections while LouAnn and I pressed and trimmed the blocks. Then each person took home a section to quilt. At the next meeting we plan to put the rows/sections together using sashing and a “quilt as you go” technique. Before I could quilt my row, I had to “redo” my block that had 3 beach houses on it. The block was too big for the row so I had to lose one of the houses. I cut out the other 2 houses so I could re-use them on the new quilt block. I changed the sky from white to blue for the new block and added a palm tree. I tried to line up the sand on my block so it would match the other two blocks.
My redesigned block
Then I stitched the blocks together to make a row. I quilted the row using free motion quilting for the sky and a walking foot making curved lines for the sand areas. At our next bee meeting, we will attach the rows with sashing. Can’t wait to see all the sections put together. Keep having fun sewing and quilting. Donna
Mary and I worked together to make a bed quilt (queen size) as an anniversary gift for one of our relatives.
It was a surprise gift and we knew that purple was a favorite color. So we went to the fabric store and found some purple fabric but we needed an accent color plus white for the background. Since some of the purple print fabric had teal, we chose teal for the accent color – we do like teal.
Mary made all the half-square triangle blocks and sewed the center motif of the Carpenter Star quilt pattern. I quilted the center motif and then added borders using a quilt as you go technique. Mary finished the quilt with the binding.
Keep having fun sewing and quilting.
Donna and Mary